Skip to main content

Under the microscope

Today was the day--first day to begin the studies.  Dad took Eef and I down to OU Med, so Ethan could be more properly diagnosed.  It was a bizarre experience.
Getting to OU Med was a slight adventure.  We took 35 S to avoid construction.  It's like a bizarre, slightly depressing acid trip getting there.  You weave through ghetto-licious streets, past multi-colored origami-styled buildings, and you know you're on the right track when you veer left of the hot pink building with Cookie Monster on it.  We finally found it--thanks to Dad practically living at OU Med these past 3 years.  Lord help me when I have to drive myself! 
Ginger (the lady who came to our house earlier and went through the paper-work for me), met us and helped us get checked-in.  From that moment, I had no idea what to expect.  We took Ethan to a room that had a marker-board, a tub of various toys in plastic bags, and a little table with the Holy Grail on it.  Okay, so maybe it wasn't the Cup of Christ, but to Ethan it might as well have been.  It was a Sesame Street Singing Pop-Up Pals toy.  (See above pic.)  You can open and close doors, windows, and Oscar's trash can lid.  Dad and I were ushered into an "observation" room, while Ethan happily attacked the Grail.  I felt like I was about to watch a police interrogation.  The glass is one-way, so to Ethan it was one, big mirror.  I felt sorry for the Dr., because she had a dickens of a time getting Ethan away from that toy.  She finally had to hide it, which lead to a spectacular melt-down.  Tears, screaming, hitting, kicking, throwing, etc.  (He even slapped her across the face--he would have been a stain if he'd tried that on me).  I found myself talking to the mirror.  "Don't hit!  Don't kick!"  She would manage to calm him down and get him to do one task or another.  Throughout the process, she was furiously scribbling notes on forms.  I really wonder at some of the "games."  Some I understood.  He put together the puzzle in less than a minute.  Others...hmmm.  One game consisted of her blowing up a balloon and then...tttttthhhhhhhppppp! letting it go.  Ethan thought it was funny, and laughed and jumped up and down appreciatively.  Not sure what great point he was supposed to achieve from that.  Lastly, he was given this rubber duckie, and told to dip it into bubble solution, and then blow bubbles with it.  My child rocked that Duck.  Too much, though.  She had to drag him screaming out of the room.  She was slightly winded and asked me, hesistantly, "Um...is this typical behavior for him?"  I felt embarrassed to admit, that yes, my child can be quite the Hell Beast.  But, thankfully that part is over and Ethan's results will be in soon.  Now if I can just find that Rubber Ducky blower...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...