Skip to main content

Just to be clear

Okay, some of you may know about my Thanksgiving plans.  Many who do know think I'm nuts, so I thought I'd clarify things a tad.

For those who don't know, I will be hosting Thanksgiving for my ex and his parents at my house.  This is very bizarre to many people, so here we go:

1.)  We ARE NOT back together.  Nor will we EVER be. (Cue in Taylor Swift song).

2.)  I am nice to him, and he to me.  Why?  We have two babies who need that more than they need to see us cold and snappy towards each other.

3.)  My in-laws know the situation.  I explained what I wanted from them when we first split.  I wanted them to put the needs of the grand kids first, and mercifully, they agreed.

4.)  Since the two of us do not have any significant others, we are keeping the tradition of Maple/Christmas; Huddleston Thanksgiving for odd years, and vice versa for even years, that we did while we were together.  I can't think up any better ideas, so there you go.

5.)  My ex has to have supervised visits.  His parents house is too small, and the area is not safe, anyway.  Thus, the logical conclusion is my house.

There.  That's the gist.  I am not trying to be "saint-like," nor am I overly kind.  I am doing what needs to be done to try and ensure that my kids' happiness is top priority.  I am trying to avoid the trauma that you hear about all too often that divorce kids experience.  The End.

Comments

  1. good for you rachel. hope it goes well - and years down the road, your kids will appreciate the effort you set forth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are smart although I hope you do not have to prepare the entire meal & you get some money to defray the costs.

    I have spent Christmas Eve Day with my ex & my second husband at my mother in law's for my daughter's birthday. His then wife did not show nor did she let her kids attend. The day was fun I felt no stress. The ex was okay.

    You do what you have to do. My problem was the 2 of the steps to my children had been in my life prior to my divorce. They ran to meet me when I came to pu/return my son. I loved thoae kids.

    You have to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. You are saint-like.
    2. You are a wonderful mom!! And a pretty great ex-wife. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...