Skip to main content

From that to this!

 Some of you know that for a while now, I've been seeing a therapist.  Her name is Amy is she is very patient and kind--and she's been helping me sift through my brain drippings in order for me to live a better life.

One of the challenges I face is being a single parent, and trying to get my kids to do, well, anything.  I'm tired and usually don't have it in me to fight the same battles over and over again.  I feel like a storm trooper trying to actually shoot something.


One of the exercises that I do is to try and change my way of thinking.  To take a negative thought and put a positive spin on it.  I try, but it's often like putting a dress on a turd to make it look pretty.  Not very effective.  But I soldier on and so I'd like to share some of my positive spins in the hope that maybe you can take some negative stuff and change your thinking for the better as well.

Instead of......

What in the name of everything sacred and holy is that smell?!

Say.....

Well!  That's a daring bouquet....what can we do to make it a little less eye-watering?


Instead of......

This sock has been in the middle of the hallway for a week.  A WEEK.  Pick up the #@&* sock!

Say....

I see that this sock has been living in the hallway for a week.  Unfortunately he doesn't have the proper permits to live here.  Let's see if we can have an intervention and reunite it with its family.

Instead of ...

This YouTube video is so insipid that it probably causes internal bleeding in small woodland creatures.

Say...

Why don't we watch something with a plot that everyone can enjoy?

Instead of...

You smell like goat scrotum.  You need to shower EVERY DAY.  

Say...

Your natural scent can be a bit robust for some people.  Let's get you into the shower so everyone can appreciate how nice you smell.

Instead of...

How many times do I have to say something before you do it?!!  Why do I have to rant like a crazed loon before you LISTEN?!!

Try...

It would be nicer for all of us if you would listen and obey the first time.

Instead of...

Yes, I know your aunt called that driver an a-hole, but that doesn't mean you can call that driver an a-hole.

Say...

Your aunt has Tourettes......

And so on and so on.  Hope this helps as you also try to look on the brighter side of things.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...