Skip to main content

     The other day, I was at Mom's for dinner as usual when an accident occurred.  Livi wanted chocolate milk, and remembered mid-retrieval of the Hershey's syrup, that Grandma had the far-superior Quik.  Smart girl!


Unfortunately, as she quickly replaced the syrup, it bumped the tray in the fridge door, causing the shelf to come down, and a swift yet brutal death to the blueberry syrup.  Mom and I took one look at the carnage, and shooed both kids from the crime scene.  This called for experience, and while her good intentions in cleaning up were appreciated, I had no desire to then have to clean up a hysterical, bloody child.


It was a very careful cleanup.  We both knew that tiny glass shards were concealed in that syrup.  So not only were we dealing with a sticky, liquid-y mess--but one with lovely hidden daggers of fun.




Afterwards, it looked pretty good--pretty clean.  Mom remarked, "I hope we got it all, but you never know.  There can always be a little bit left that we can't see."


I remembered her words as I sat in therapy today.  I had thought I had weathered my divorce well.  I was feeling comfortable with where I was.  But two weeks ago, I had an incident with my ex and his mother that slammed me with a PTSD tidal wave of fear, helplessness, anger, and frustration.  I was back in the trenches.  I was temporarily blinded by all of my emotions and cried for about 5 seconds before getting a grip on myself.  After all, my kids were watching.  Livi stared at me as I seemed fine before my ex would return into the room.  "How did you do that?  You HAVE to teach me how you did that!"

Oh baby girl.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that the ability stemmed from years of practice in living with an abusive person. Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a very real thing, not just a handy adjective (as is abuse, for that matter.  They are very powerful, yet overused words that are quickly losing their meaning).  My ex has it, as does his mother.  And yet, their personalities aren't that similar on the surface.  I just figured she was spoiled (which she was).  In talking about the experience, my therapist spoke about how both my ex's and his mother's reactions were very typical of narcissists. 

***  Here is a a helpful link about narcissism.  Please read so you can spot the signs:  https://www.survivedivorce.com/married-to-narcissist  ****

Like my mother and I cleaning up the blueberry syrup, I thought I had done well and "cleaned up" my divorce and reconciled my relationship with my abusers as best as I could for the sake of my kids.  But I found that while my intentions were good--I unlocked a world of questions and seeming contradictions that my kids as they have grown have had to try and figure out.  In the world of abuse, even after you remove yourself from the abuser, the effects are forever.  Like when you think you've cleaned everything up, and suddenly you're bleeding and completely taken aback. 


It is a constant and violent swing of guessing good intentions and trying to make things work.  What might be helpful for one kids, could be detrimental for the other.  What might seem okay to me, is confusing and harmful for my kids--all while trying to manage to navigate my children to a decent, healthy relationship with them.  Like walking a tight-rope that is barbed wire.  

It is a journey.  A continuing journey that I have no real map for--only guidelines.  I am having to try and relearn and readjust everything I know.  I think C. S. Lewis put it best:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...