Skip to main content

All's quiet

There comes a time in every mother's life when she is faced with the inescapable horror that is known as potty-training. Now, most people who don't have kids are not very impressed. "What's the big deal?" But mothers who have been through it have something to bond over. Like veterans with flashbacks, they bond--reliving the flashbacks and leaning on each other for support. "The smell! I just couldn't take it!" "Well, then the dog ate it and I had to brush his teeth..." "Peed right on the rug my mother-in-law gave us, right before she arrived...of course she wondered where it was and accused me of getting rid of it!" And so on.
I am a proud member of this group, although I am not a veteran yet. I am on the front lines. I am Verdun. I am Somme. My son has been on the potty train for two months, now. Having tired of merely sitting on the potty when he needs to go, he has decided to up the ante. Now, he enjoys pushing the poop out and sucking it in, thus making poop cheerfully blossom from his anus, creating a perfect stamp to decorate the carpet with. Now as I enter his room, I have to pick my way through fecal landmines, praying I don't step on one and detonate a high-pitch squeal of sheer agony from myself that only squirrels and five year-old girls can hear. The bonds of motherhood are quite strong, but there are some areas that it just doesn't cover. Here's one of them: The other day, (unbeknownst to me) Ethan had a poo-flower, and he needed an avenue to get rid of it. (He had been using his Froggie chair. He'd sit on the frog's head and then slide down its back to wipe. After having to borrow my sister's industrial washer twice for the redemption of this amphibian, I took it to Grandma's to recover). So, Ethan comes over to me, sits on my leg and slides off--leaving a trail of poo down my leg, and me speaking in tongues unfamiliar to men and angels.
The hardest part, for me, is not knowing when it will end. It could be months, or even a year. Right now, I'm trying not to crawl into a corner and into the fetal position--rocking back and forth and drooling graham cracker on myself. So to everyone who's been through it, lucky you. You're done. To all who's going through it now, let us unite in our hatred of finding poop smeared on the wall Jackson Pollack-style, and of discouraging our kids from "watering" the houseplants. We will fight on or die trying. (Either that or we will consume an entire pan of brownies to console ourselves).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...