Skip to main content

To eat, or not to eat?

Who says a day in the life of a housewife is dull? They obviously never had toddlers. Today dawned bright and early (thank you Livi), and was going to prove to be interesting--due to a change in routine. For itty bitties, routine is a must. It's like the cheese on the burger. But an occasional mild change can be cause for much excitement and amusement. Today was Ethan's monthly haircut at Wendy's Tree House (a.k.a. the horrid child whisperer). Seriously, if your kids hate to get their hair cut, this woman is a God-sent. While Barrett took Eef to be shorn, I got to stay with Livi to await the exterminator. After finding a Black Widow the size of Moby Dick, I put my foot down and demanded that our yard be sprayed. Luckily the Man of the House agreed, and "Ryan" came to do battle with our spiders. While waiting for him to arrive, Livi decided to explore, and I picked up the living room in a feeble attempt to convince an outsider that no, we don't live in squalor. I noticed the tell-tale puffed cheeks and the rolling of the tongue, so I decided to forage in my daughter's mouth for whatever she decided to dine upon. To my horror, I fished out a dark lump. No way did my daughter just almost eat a turd. While trying to keep my voice in a some-what normal register, I grabbed a wipe and examined it, and yes, I sniffed it. Luckily, no fecal aroma assaulted my nostrils, so I could safely rule out poop. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a dead roly-poly. For an instant, I felt relieved. Yeah! She wasn't eating poop! Then, I thought about it. Ewww....she was eating a dead bug. I really don't know which is worse.
When B and Eef arrived, I saw that Ethan had received a Dr. Pepper slush for being good. I'm all for rewards, but that's like giving crack to a squirrel. Do we really need for him to be that hopped up? Yikes. Oh well. I guess he earned it for not shrieking like a Banshee at the hair-cut place. I swear, any Irishman within a hundred mile radius crosses themselves when Ethan cuts loose.
The rest of the day was fairly normal (well, define normal), and Barrett went to a meeting that night. Now most of you know that Ethan is potty-training (either that or I just love to talk about poop) and that means that he's naked from the waist-down. I sometimes forget that not everyone knows this. Some poor college student came to our door peddling newspapers. Wanting to see what the action was, Eef squeezed past me in all his nudie glory. I'm holding Livi, trying to keep Ethan from escaping when it dawns on me that he isn't wearing pants and this guy is mortified. He looks firmly down at his clipboard and won't look up. When he does, he happened to choose the moment when Eef threw himself on his bottom and spread his legs wide, not only flashing his Kibble and Bits, but giving the guy the "red eye" as well. I mutter a half-hearted "potty-training"excuse and the guy hurriedly says, "Have a nice evening" and practically runs away. Sorry! Oh well. Just another day in my fun house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a gas

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything.  I know you've been waiting, fingernails curled and gripping the edge of your seat for me to post something highly inappropriate and gross.  Today, you are vindicated.  You shall not leave unsatisfied. As most of you know...after about 10 years I have finally rejoined the workplace.  I am working at the Chambers Library at UCO.  It was truly bizarre to be working again, since the last job I held was before I had kids.  Yes.  That matters.  You see, my body has changed a lot in those years--especially in the areas of going to the bathroom.  I didn't realize that a whole, new adventure awaited me.  You see, since everything is loose down in Dixie from having kids, I don't have quite the control that I used to.  Simple things such needing to pee have now become dire.  You don't have any waiting time.  Your body says, "You need to pee.  Now.  NOW SUCKER!!!" ...

Panties and Heart Failure

  Yes, I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but I have tried to reserve blogging to when I have something mildly interesting to tell.  So here are two tales from my weird life: Okay, many of you know that my house is haunted.   Most of you probably believe that I'm on something, or it's just my imagination.  That's fine.  Actually, we rarely get activity.  It's a pretty chill spirit, whoever it is...or was.  But occasionally, it decides to make its presence known, as it did the other day. I was in the bathroom, and I had forgotten the need for a clean pair of undies.  This is a situation that no one wants to find themselves in, so naturally, I hollered for reinforcements from my daughter.  Ethan was at esports, and I wouldn't traumatize the poor boy by making him retrieve a pair of my dainties. Livi had been chatting with me through the door, so she said okay and....I guess she wasn't moving quickly enough for our ghosty.  T...

I'm spilling the tea. It's old but well-brewed

This is kind of long, so buckle up. We're 10 days into January, and it still feels weird.  Kind of like trying to break in a new pair of shoes.  Over the break, I've done little odd jobs here and there--stuff I really didn't have time to mess with, or I just didn't WANT to mess with.  One of those things was working on applications for a grant for Ethan's college.  With the new semester, I have realized that Ethan is half done with his sophomore year.  Only two more years after that....I seriously cannot believe it.  Even though my body cheerfully reminds me of my age every day, I still sometimes think about myself in college or fresh out of it.  Sometimes college seems like a weird dream, or something I watched happen to someone else.  I have frank, open talks to my kids about college (or trade school if they are interested), and both kids are pretty much wanting to attend UCO and (to my surprise), they want to live at home.  I told them not...